Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday Means Volunteerism

Going along with the theme of this week's posts -- Wednesday.  Wednesday is a day I reserve for volunteer work.  Normally this is a meeting day of some sort. Luncheon meetings, board meetings, committee meetings.  Meetings are not my favorite activity but just as it is in the work world when one is working for a paycheck, some meetings are essential in the volunteer world as well.  And, because our personal time as retirees is very important to us, I find that meetings of the organizations to which I belong, or boards on which I serve, are generally efficient and well managed.  This makes meetings much less painful.  I even look forward to some of them.

Today was the Woman's Club monthly membership meeting and the focus was the arts and crafts show I mentioned yesterday.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that both my entries received third place ribbons in their respective categories.  The box lunch catered by Delectables was delicious.  And the meeting speakers were interesting, knowledgeable in their respective fields of investments, tax law and estate law.  It was timely information well received by the membership and their guests.

I bought my tickets for the Charity Fashion Show.  I was able to address the group about our marketing effort for ads in our program booklet for the show.  Our speakers indicated that they would place an ad as well.  I took two more ads from members and received a full packet of ads and gift certificates collected by one of my sales team.

It was a good day.

I know I mentioned recently that we are working on greeting cards, bookmarks and decorated gift bags for guests of the show.  This project has a somewhat negative impact on several rooms in my home.  The office has stacks of various papers sitting on every surface and the floor.  My art table has cards and embellishments everywhere.  And the worst room?  Our guest room --



Cards and bookmarks done and ready to go into a decorated bag accompanied by bright tissue paper are all over the bed and....


completed bags are lined up like little soldiers.  Every surface in that room will be covered with completed bags before we are through with this project. And it is sooo much fun.

What's even better?

A husband who does not complain about any of the mess.  A loving partner who understands how important all of this is to me and just goes with the flow.

Now it's time to go work on a bag or two and then get ready for a board meeting at the hospital tonight.  A friend was supposed to go but she is ill so I'm going in her place.

After all, it IS meeting day, right?

2 comments:

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.