Saturday, January 12, 2013

Thoughts on Walking


My left foot will never allow for walking as long or as far as I used to walk at one time.  Now when I walk for awhile, it lets me know when I have to give it a rest.  I would love to walk around the island again.  Being able to do that requires the purchase of a parking pass  And here comes the real subject of today's blog entry.

I am still not happy about Howard Park and Ft. DeSoto Park being the only ones to require a DAILY $5.00  fee to use a parking space in the park -- in fact, Ft. DeSoto charges you just to drive through whether you park or not.  There are several beautiful waterfront parks in this Pinellas County Park system.  NONE of them have this fee.  As a result usage of these two parks has dropped significantly from previous years.

I can see a fee for out of town visitors, but a property owner paying taxes to support these parks should not have to pay more just to park a car and take a walk around the island.  I had hoped this idea would die an untimely death, but it hasn't so I will probably knuckle under and purchase an annual pass this year as I have really missed enjoying views like the one above.  And walking those winding little paths down to the beach.

That's my thought for the day.  Now I'm headed for the library to work for a couple of hours.  Saturdays are supposed to be "free" days for me, but helping a kid get his required volunteer commitment out of the way is worth a couple of hours of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.