Sunday, February 8, 2015

Putting the shoe on the other foot

As I've gotten older, I have started to look at things I always took for granted with different eyes.  I have to admit that being on Facebook has made me a little more critical.

For instance, look at this:


My first inclination when I saw this was to chime in, "YES, we are!"  But then I thought to myself, "How would I feel if a guy posted something similar and crowed about how strong men are?  Or handsome.  Or smart.  Would I automatically respond, "YES, you are!"?

Probably not.  Because I'm more critical.

Because they are not ALL those things.   Some are weak.  Some pretty scuzzy.  Not very smart.  Poor providers.  Poor fathers.  Abysmal husbands.

So what if I turn those same critical eyes back to the Wonder Women statement?  Are we really ALL Wonder Women?  Are any of us?

No, of course not.

I would rather the caption read "WE ARE ALL SISTERS".  Tall or short, fat or thin, black, brown, white or yellow -- we're sisters.  Weak or strong we are sisters.  And we need to be there for each other because the one thing in this world we are NOT is Super Women.

I like women.  I always have.  When we bring our unique talents to a large project and work together, it may seem like a team of Wonder Women have accomplished the close to impossible.   Because we're friends with the same goals supporting each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.