Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Winding Down

As much as I love my volunteer activities, I always look forward to this time of the year when a good number of them go on summer hiatus.  I have two more Woman's Club associated meetings and they will be over as of the first week in June.

There will be a school supply and backpack project that we do jointly with the good folks of Florida Hospital North Pinellas (school physicals) and the Citizen's Alliance for Progress (CAP) in July culminating with the event on August 1st.  Our responsibility in that endeavor is to gather school supplies and backpacks to be given to children who come to Union Academy for a school physical.  The ladies of our group prepare a grilled chicken salad dinner and serve the children and their parents.  Any leftover backpacks are left with CAP to give out as needed as the school year gets started.

Another WCTS member, Neila O'Neill, and I started a Facebook page for the Club this month.  I apparently don't have enough to do.  You all know how much I love the computer and things related to it and I am already Admin for the Friends of the Library FB page. This is not time consuming. We need to get the word out and I want "likes" from nonmembers to get the word out on our activities to the rest of the community.  I will be working on that some, also.  Oh, and I assumed responsibility for Admin of the Club email account.  I wrote a policy and procedure for the club's use of email and Facebook and will talk about it at the orientation of the new Executive Board at Dolores Wilson's house this morning. I accepted a Directorship on this board.  This year it is a nice mixture of old and new members. This orientation meeting is one of the meetings to which I referred earlier.

We will have no FOL meetings in July and August. That cuts down on the time I spend doing reports.  The bookstore activity goes on throughout the summer but I have two new volunteers to help me work the donations, sorting, pricing and shelving them so I am hoping a few hours on Fridays will be all that is required to keep it up.  I am concerned that we haven't made any plans for the Annual meetings at this point.  Venues get booked quickly around this little city.  I'll talk to Trish when she gets back from her fabulous trip out West.  Maybe we can discuss it at the June Board meeting.  We really need to get on it.
 
Hmmm.  Maybe it isn't winding down quite as much as I had anticipated.  No worries.  I'll still have plenty of time for painting and paper crafts.  That's usually my major summer activity.

I'll wind down just enough to do that and to read "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett, by book group's summer reading to discuss when we are back together again in September.  I started it yesterday.  It will be a good read.

Wishing everyone a summer filled with things they love to do.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.