Thursday, May 30, 2013

Happiness

I was thinking earlier tonight about happiness and why it is so elusive for so many.

For the greater part of my 67 years, I have been a very happy person.  There were some tough years and a few heartbreaking times, but I have been blessed with the ability to "Let Go" and "Let God -- or whatever Higher Power" handle problems over which I have no control.  I don't anger easily and when I do, I'm over it very quickly.  I'm not easily irritated.  

I love my children and grandchildren, but have never felt I needed to be involved in every facet of their lives. Trying to be there when they needed us but realizing that they are their own family units. We have always felt that, unless asked, we should keep our own counsel, trying never to offer unneeded and/or unwanted advice.  Occasionally, it is hard to keep the lip zipped, but for the most part, I think we have succeeded in that.  Keeps us happier -- and them, too. 

My best friend is my husband.  I have some good women friends and I really like women and know there are several who will be there for me if or when I need support.  But my husband is my rock.  Always has been.  We have been a "couple" for 44 years now and will celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary in August. He's funny, romantic, and incredibly thoughtful and considerate.  He's not perfect, but he's perfect for me/  A perfect person wouldn't be as lovable.  If a perfect person ever really exists, I am sure he or she could not make me laugh the way this man makes me laugh.  Every day.

He hates the idea of Facebook.  I show him stuff but am careful not to post any pictures of him because 1) he hates cameras and having his picture taken; and, 2) he is a very private person.  I respect his wishes in this, but a blog entry about happiness, for me, would be incomplete without mentioning him.  We are not responsible for anyone else's happiness -- only our own.  But we all know we can certainly make someone else miserable if we want to do it.  I believe we are both responsible for being supportive, caring, and kind partners and that it is important to always show respect for one another and to say, "I love you," often.  He's really good at that and I am, also.  

Maybe that is the key to my own happiness.  I stay busy with lots of varied interests and he supports me in that. When you're busy, you don't have time to think about things that could irritate you if you dwell on them. We are both very fortunate people and we know it.  It can all end in the space of a heartbeat.  We know that, too.  Neither of us want any regrets.  No "if only's" or "I should have's."  We try to live our lives so that when this ride together is over for one of us, the other will have only happy memories.  No regrets.  No "I should have's."  

By my own definition then, I guess happiness is living in the "now," appreciating what we have.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.