Thursday, July 12, 2012

Reflections

I've been back from my walk for a little bit now.  Fed the pup, read my email, transferred my pictures from my cell phone and  am ready to share my photos with you guys.  We "upped the ante" this morning and decided to walk at 7 instead of 7:30, hoping it would be a little cooler.

And it was -- just a little.  But what it was the most was spectacularly beautiful.  I got there a little before my friends, Betty and Dolores. I got out of the car and walked over to the seawall on the edge of the parking lot and saw this.

Looking south toward Sunset Beach from Howard Park Sea Wall
"Wow", I thought.  "The water looks smooth as glass this morning."  There had been storms off the coast this morning and I listened carefully for any thunder.  You learn early living here that if you can hear thunder, you should not be outside.  Lightning has killed or permanently disabled many a Floridian or visitor to Florida.  You do not want to be in the middle of a causeway where you are the highest thing around.

I looked toward the west and actually did a double take.  Can anything more beautiful than a sunrise in the east reflecting on a bank of clouds on the western horizon?  Not for me this morning.

Looking west past the mangroves from the seawall at Howard Park.
As lovely as that picture is, the real scene was far more beautiful/  A mullet jumped just before I snapped the shutter of the cell phone and the slight ripple to the left of the small clump of mangroves was the only movement of the water.  While this makes for wonderful reflections, it bodes ill for cooling breezes for our walk.

As I was taking a picture of the walkway to the causeway, I heard another car pull into a parking space.

Trail from parking lot to the causeway at Howard Park

Soon, our third walker pulled in and we all began our walk promptly at 7.  No matter whether I am walking or riding, I never tire of the view in front of us when we emerge from the park onto the causeway.  And this morning's was just spectacular.

Looking from the east end of the causeway out toward the island at Howard Park.
It was definitely worth getting up before dawn to enjoy the beauty of the rising sun's reflections in our western skies.  And, it was a little cooler.  We did find a nice breeze on the island and had more breeze as we were walking back toward the mainland.  But not enough to ripple the reflections....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.