Thursday, April 16, 2015

Soooo....

little tomato plants have just gone into the ground.

2 Cherokee Purple
1 Better Boy
1 Beef Master
and
1 Phoenix

What?

A PHOENIX?

What the heck is a Phoenix?

I didn't know so I looked it up.  It is a Bonnie bred plant that is supposed to be able to set fruit in 90+ degrees.  It's touted to be one of the best hot weather tomatoes.

I made sure I knew which one was the Phoenix so I can follow its progress.  It was introduced as a new variety about 5 years ago according to some sources.  They refer to it as a "red slicer."  I found a picture.


I really hope this one can make it through the summer heat.  We've had good and bad experiences with the others.  I wonder why they do well some summers and not others.

Anyway, they are in the ground with tomato cages over each of them.  When he suckers the plants, we'll end up with at least 10 more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.