Monday, March 16, 2015

And "sew" it begins.....

I think I lost my mind a couple of weeks ago when I decided to clear out the guest room closet of old clothes while I cleaned and reorganized the room.  The closet was the receptacle for clothes of many different sizes -- mostly business attire.  Items I would never really need again.  So I bit the bullet and donated practically all of them to The Haven, a not for profit organization that assists abused women and their children with everything they need to be safe and, eventually, start a new life apart from the abuser.

Sizes 4 through 10 and some 12's went out of here, leaving me plenty room to begin the "closet sewing center" I had been so anxious to create.  My husband was happy to see some of the purging but had no idea what I had in mind until these fateful words popped out of my mouth, "Honey, could you move the old sewing machine table for me?"

"OK, where do you want it?"

"The guest bedroom closet...."

"What?"  His voice elevated slightly.  And I got that look that husbands and wives are so good at giving one another. The one that says, "I love you but...."  and the "but" can mean a million different things.

I said, "Please don't argue with me.  Just move it for me and I'll show you what I have in mind."

So he did and I did and he, as he always does, jumped right in and helped me make it a reality.

He measured, he foraged in the garage, he took me to Home Depot where even the young man who helped us got deeply interested in what we were doing.  He sawed, he painted, he drilled and he pounded.  He put up lighting and pegboard.  He gave me his precious stash of pegboard hooks and fashioned an additional shelf for those items that don't do well hanging.  While he was doing all this, I was finishing corsages and doing the door prizes for the fashion show and finding storage units I could re-purpose for my new sewing center.

The new sewing center was finished two days before the Woman's Club Annual Charity Fashion Show at Safety Harbor Resort and Spa.

I love it.


I still have a few accessories to hang and I want a new task chair with good ergonomics.  This center only cost us about $30 in materials but it was the result of a lot of loving labor.  My new folding cutting board is on its way from Amazon along with some other inexpensive items.  I'm watching for a good sale on task chairs.

And I can hardly wait to use my new center.

But first, I have to reorganize my art supplies and all my paper and paper craft tools as well as my library of books and DVDs.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you will be whipping up a bunch of new outfits now that you've donated so many to the Haven. Enjoy that sewing center!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.