Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A New Medium for Me

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about a new art book I had previewed by checking it out of the library.  It intrigued me so much that I bought it from Amazon the next day. "Studying Up" March 17.

I ordered a small supply of Ranger Adirondack alcohol ink colors and other supplies needed for applying them to non-porous substrates.  I followed Cathy Taylor's suggestions for playing with the application of the inks to Yupo paper to get a feel for color and viscosity.  Then I took the advice of artists in a Facebook Group to use glazed tiles.  They are easy to clean up with 91% rubbing alcohol.  I had also ordered some mister bottles made specifically for using with the inks as the mist is much finer than the normal mini-misters I use with liquid water color.

I have a long way to go with this medium.  

It is very easy to mess it up.

But I found sometimes that messing up and spraying with more ink made it prettier.

My first piece:


I'll call it, "The Rose."

Today, I'll work on another tile.  And do another lesson in the book.  And maybe an AI painting on Yupo paper.

The only limiting thing about this medium is that you have to have a non-porous substrate.  However, Ranger has developed a non-porous card stock suitable for alcohol ink and Yupo paper is perfect.  And, I can also see a lot more tile in my future.  I can get them for just a few cents a tile at Home Depot.  I'd like to try the black tile as well.

It is good to be back in my studio again.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.