Thursday, June 20, 2013

Happy Dancing on My Lanai Today

Bet you can't guess why.

It's not the avocado plants flourishing that is causing me to dance.  And, no, we haven't gotten them into the ground yet.  And now we're a little afraid to because the ground is so hot.


Nor are the beautiful blooms on our plumeria the cause of my extreme happiness...  Please note that I was barefoot when I grabbed my camera so all these were taken from the inside of the screened lanai looking out.  These wonderful digital cameras take a beautiful (?) image of the screen itself.  ;-)






No...those are good reasons that would normally be the source of my joy.

No, it is THIS>>>>


This is my new pineapple plant!!!!  The smaller, old green plant in front of the larger, healthy new green is the pineapple top we planted just before Christmas.  The new green is the plant that will produce a pineapple in about 18 more months!  I had stopped looking it because it was taking FOREVER to do anything. And I was afraid it was like waiting for water to boil.  The more I looked at it, the longer it seemed to take for anything to happen. But, low and behold, last week I noticed it for the first time.  It is growing like crazy now.  Must be the tropical weather we have had recently.  Hot and humid.  Pineapples love it hot and humid.  Mama Nature is providing that in spades right now.

So my plant is named Tim.

Because...

I bought it to use it as part of a table centerpiece last winter when author, Tim Dorsey, was a speaker for one of our library programs.  He was promoting his book, Pineapple Grenade.  Tim loved it.  I brought the pineapple home and when we cut it up a couple of weeks later, I got my husband to plant it for me because he is the one with a green thumb in this family.  Anything I plant, dies.  Even silk plants choke to death on dust.

Tim's new book is in hardcover, "The Riptide Ultra-Glide," the 16th book in his best selling series featuring a lovable serial killer named Serge Storms.  His books are fun to read and his talent as a speaker makes him the ultimate in what we look for in a library program.  Humorous and well-spoken, friendly and extremely approachable -- he is super.  Don't miss a chance to hear him if he is in your area.

I can't wait to tell my friend, Neila, all about Tim, the Pineapple.

2 comments:

  1. You may actually get twin pineapples! Usually the top just grows bigger and sets fruit. Once in a while, it sets a twin plant first. We have one set of twin plants in the backyard. Looks like you have the touch!

    The Plumeria look great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh, you have made my day!!! I can hardly wait to tell my "yard and pool guy" that his green thumb may have resulted in twins....LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.