Friday, April 20, 2012

This One's for You, Nancy

In early March, our friend Nancy in Jacksonville and her daughter Nora, paid us a visit.  She brought Butch two Cherokee Purple Heirloom Tomato plants that she had started from seed.  They are really big now and are full of blooms and have several small tomatoes on them.




We are very optimistic about getting some pretty purple tomatoes from these plants this year.  Our last attempt at the heirloom tomatoes did not go well.  These are a little behind the Better Boys that Butch planted in a "topsy turvy" planter Chele gave him for Father's Day a year or two ago.  It has some good sized tomatoes on it now.




I love the smell of tomato vines.  These are really fragrant.  Butch has "suckered" this plant and stuck the suckers in pots, too.  They have taken off like gangbusters and have grown into large plants as well.


I can hardly wait for the tomatoes to ripen -- all of them.

And the "topsy turvy" planter?  It is just fascinating to watch the tomato vines grow down and curl up.  And I guess I will forgive him for taking down my lovely wind chimes so he could hang his 'maters...but only if I get the first ripe tomato!

I'll be back with pictures of the first ripe ones --especially the purple ones.

While I was at it, I took a picture of my Christmas poinsettia which has not made it into the ground just yet.  It is looking very healthy.  Amazingly, it has not lost many of its beautiful red leaves.  I am using it as a centerpiece on the patio table.



3 comments:

  1. Cherokee Purple is my favorite tomato. We haven't gotten anything in the ground except cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking tomatoes! I'd love to sample a purple tomato when they're ripe! I like the smell of the plants, too. We tried to grow toms. in pots, but didn't have as much luck as you are. Too hot, too many bugs, not enough tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I'll have to cut down some more trees. My problem is length of sunshine. Congrats to Butch for his green thumb. I think the only thing mine is good for is hitchhiking.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome as long as they are not SPAM and are courteous.